Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

...Getting My Feet Wet

Actually, I got a lot more than just my feet wet.

This is my favorite week of the year.  Every year.  It's my birthweek (that's a word, no?), teacher appreciation week, and Mother's Day all rolled into the same 7 days.  I'm like a 5 year old when my birthday rolls around.  I can't wait.  It doesn't matter whether or not I have plans to celebrate.  I don't need presents (but I don't hate them, so shop if you must), and Lord knows I don't need cake.  But I just love my birthday.  Lucky for me, 2 of my best girls also have May birthdays, so we tend to make a big deal of ourselves together.  And yes, I'm the oldest by 11 days.  Prepare yourselves.  Celebration pictures are sure to follow.

Today was just the icing on my "my favorite week" cake.  It was gorgeous.  That's all there is to it.  Maybe my whining about the miserable weather has paid off.  And to top it all off, after a day of teaching followed by a long meeting, I joined my family and friends in our friend's pool.  That's right.  In the pool.  On May 8th.  This was L's first real pool experience.  Last summer, she spent pool time in a little raft that one of us always held onto.  Today she was free, wearing H's old arm floaties, as he's now a strong enough swimmer without them, and she showed no fear in the water - which terrifies me.  We all loved every second of it.  I hope I can remember the feeling of wonder and awe I felt watching my kiddos tomorrow when I'm sure they'll be absolute monsters because we kept them out well past their bedtimes so they could enjoy the moment.  It's worth it.

This is where I would post a picture of H and L being adorable in the water, or eating hot dogs poolside in their jammies with wet hair and those fresh from the pool eyelashes that I can't get enough of.  But, alas...  Instead of taking pictures, I was living in the moment.

And since it feels like summer is really on it's way, I just can't do another drab outfit.  Today I broke out the green skirt again, but this time with some color blocking.  So much color used to be way outside of my comfort zone, but I'm really starting to like it.  Luckily, the outfit includes a cardigan, which is the definition of my comfort zone.  And I still haven't cleaned the mirror.  I do think of it every time I take a picture.  I obviously don't have time to dry my hair in the morning, let alone break out the Windex.

Skirt - Banana Republic outlet
Cardigan and T - Target
Bracelet (the gold one, not the rubberband) - Limited
Monogram Necklace - Personalized Me to You
Sandals - Madewell
 

6 comments:

  1. You look amazing! Wet hair and all. I love love love this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't hate when comfort and cute collide.

      Delete
  2. Ditto that - look at you playing with color! I've still never been to Madewell (even though it's so close to Shepwell, I know). Did you find a lot there in addition to those cute sandals?

    And I'm happy to have found so many May birthday buddies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did have some cute stuff, but I didn't have a lot of time and was only shopping clearance racks when I was there. These sandals definitely took priority - even though they weren't on clearance.

      I can't wait for our celebration date(s)!

      Delete
  3. I am also on team sandal lust...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so comfy, and to top it off, Madewell has an educator discount! 15 percent is 15 percent. Not sure how this works online, though.

      Delete