Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

...Eternity

Okay, so I'm not really on the edge of eternity.  It's just something that I've been thinking about.  A death close to me has a tendency to lead my thoughts in this direction.

As neither an overly religious nor a non-religious person, the concept of eternity has always been a bit confusing and somewhat mystical entity.  I kind of have pictured it like the Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come" combined with the book "The Lovely Bones".  In a way, I think your spirit/soul/whatever it is has the choice to be who or what it wants to be and from the time in your life during which it was the most happy.  In the movie, Robin Williams' character's daughter spends time in "heaven" in the form of a flight attendant from Hawaii because she saw the way her dad thought the flight attendant was beautiful and she wanted that kind of beauty.  So I guess it makes sense to me that you would want to feel good about yourself forever.

In thinking about my grandma, I wonder who she would choose to be.  Who would she choose to reconnect with?  Who is waiting for her?  Is it my granddad?  Is it her first husband to whom she was only married for a short time before he was killed in the war?  Is it my oldest brother?  Her brothers?  Her parents?  Friends?  Is there someone who has been waiting to spend eternity with her that she doesn't really care to see or spend eternity with?

Eternity's an awful long time.  I hope we don't really have to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment