Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 28, 2013

...An At-Home Workout

When I left work today, the sun was shining and I was carrying my coat in my hand.  In January. In Chicago(ish).  With an extra spring in my step, I started making mental plans to walk in the door when I got home, change out of my dress and boots, and go for a quick 2 mile-or-so run.

Instead, I walked in the door to L, who flung herself and her snot-crusted face into my legs, and there she remained.  H was coloring at the table, and was desperate for some Mommy attention.  And thus, my quick 2 mile run turned into time with my two favorite short people, dinner prep, laundry folding, bath and shower time, stories, Uno, and bedtime.  Since the beginning of January (yep, I'm one of those!), I've been doing well keeping up a great schedule of going to the gym.  The minute I tuck H in, I'm out the door for about an hour at the gym while B does his thing at home and gets ready to leave for work.  But tonight I wasn't feeling it.

Because I've been doing so well, and frankly, feeling so good about how hard I've been working, I didn't want to knew I shouldn't just spend the evening on the couch either.  So, I pulled up the Pinterest board I've created to help motivate me, and rocked out a little ab and arm work.


That's right.  I didn't change my clothes.
Just took off my tights and cardigan, and put my hair in a bun with a pen.
It's my work-to-workout look.
I can knock you out with these dumbell punches.
This one's no joke.
Or maybe it's easy and I just don't have any ab muscle at all. 

All this on top of the 37 push-ups for my January push-up challenge today. And the 35 I had to do today because I forgot skipped out on yesterday.  But I did those 35 girl-style, on my knees.  I'm not a freaking superhero. 72 is a LOT of push-ups!!!

I don't feel so bad about not going to the gym tonight.  But I'll be there tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. See, this is exactly what I was wondering about in my post today - how do you working moms possibly find time to go to the gym? Some days I can barely make myself go, even though it's in the middle of the day, forcing me to take a break from work! But way to get into a good routine! Sometimes a night off is good, especially if you got to hang out with the kiddies AND still work out!

    Also, will you please start a work-to-workout style post series? Because that's just awesome. I should've had Bob get a picture of me doing my push-ups in my work clothes tonight! Damn.

    And I bet you'll think that ab workout is easier by the end of February :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a working mom for almost 5 years, and this is the first time that I've been able (or maybe willing) to find a consistent schedule/routine of going. B's schedule really helps out with this. But it's a sacrifice, too. Because I'm running out to the gym as soon as the kids are in bed, he and I don't get as much time together. I know it's worth it in the long run. Being healthier will give us more time later in life.

    I don't think anyone is ready for my workout style series. I did get some new pants when Old Navy was having 30% off last week. They have serious neon green side stripes. Pretty 80s, but the price was right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some last week too! Gray capris with a bright neon yellow stripe - I love them! Because they don't fall down :)

      Delete